Click Here: School Closure
NOTICE: Here is an important update regarding meals for children. The MSD of Mt. Vernon is now serving free Grab and Go lunches to anyone ages 18 and under at three of our school locations every weekday.
These Grab and Go meals are being handed out from 11:30 - 12:30 each day at the front entrances of Marrs Elementary, West Elementary, and Mt. Vernon Senior High School.
We are able to provide one meal per child, and the child does NOT have to be present for the meal to be provided. You can come to any of these locations to pick up a meal: Marrs, West, or the High School.
Please note, we will NOT be serving lunch on Good Friday, April 10, but otherwise we are planning to provide meals from 11:30 - 12:30 every weekday until further notice.
Thank you, stay safe and healthy, and have a great week!
We are altering our plans because at this time it is unclear if we will be able to physically return to school this year.
Below you will find our tentative schedule going forward:
Week of March 30 - eLearning Days as planned
Week of April 6 - Waiver days - No School
Week of April 13 - eLearning (packet pick up and drop off in foyers)
Week of April 20 - eLearning Days
Week of April 27 - eLearning Days
***There is no school (eLearning) on Friday, April 10th and Monday, April 13th.
During the week of April 13th elementary parents will be able to pick up packets in the foyer of their school. The rest of the building will not be open to the public.
JH and HS packets are available when necessary by appointment (call the school) in the office or foyer. The rest of the building will not be open to the public.
Tuesday, March 10th. - End of 3rd. 9 Weeks
Wednesday, March 11th. - Warrior Wednesday (1st.- 5th.)
Friday, March 13th. - 5th. Grade to Victory - 9:30- 12:15 p.m.
Sunday, March 15th. - Bowl for Kids Sake
Monday, March 16th. 3rd. Grade IREAD Begins through Mar.20th.
Tuesday, March 17th. - Report Cards Go Home
Friday, March 20th. - Recognition Programs (1st. - 2nd. 9:00 & 3rd. - 5th. 10:00)
Monday, March 23rd.-Friday,March 27th. -- NO SCHOOL ! Spring Break
Monday, Feb.3rd. - Harlem Wizards - 10:00 a.m. Gym
Wednesday, Feb.5th. Domino's Dough Raising Night
Tuesday, Feb.11th. Kindergarten Roundup - 8:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Wednesday, Feb.12th. Warrior Wednesday (1st.-5th.)
Friday, Feb.14th. Valentine's Day Parties
Monday, Feb.17th. NO SCHOOL !
Wednesday, Feb.19th. Spring Picture Day
Thursday, Feb.27th. Digital Learning Day
Friday, Feb.28th. "JA in a Day " (Sabic Volunteers)
- Monday, Jan.20th. Snow Make -Up Day ( School in Session) and Holly's House 9:00-2:00 p.m.
- Holly's House - 9:00-2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, Jan .22nd. Warrior Wednesday (3rd.-5th.)
- Holly's House - 9:00-2:00 p.m.
- Thursday, Jan.23rd. Holly's House - 9:00-2:00 p.m.
- Friday ,Jan. 24th. Holly's House - 9:00 - 2:00 p.m.
- Limo Ride Lunch
- Tuesday, Jan.28th. - Yearbook Picture Day
- Domino's Dough Raising night is the first Wednesday of each month.
- When calling in for a sick child, please contact Mrs. Adamson by 8:30AM. Also, written permission is required for all meds, including cough drops. Thanks!
- A friendly reminder to West families: so that they can be safely supervised, students may be dropped off at West at 7:30 a.m. At that time, the gym and cafeteria are open and students can be admitted into the building. Front doors will be open at 7:15 a.m. for students to wait in the foyer. Thank you to all the West community for your work and help in keeping our kids safe!
That is a phrase your child will hear a lot this year at West Elementary. We certainly know it is true. For kids, like adults, the future is made by the present. We know, for instance, that a student’s success in high school can be directly traced to his/her success in elementary school. It is a long-standing economic fact that the more education a child has, the greater his/her lifetime earnings will be. For us at West, we see it as a critical component of our job to help students – even those in the early grades – begin thinking about life after high school.
We are going to prioritize this idea in a variety of ways this year. For our 5th graders, we will likely have a field trip later in the year to the University of Southern Indiana and/or the University of Evansville, giving students the opportunity to see a college campus and envision themselves as a part of it. Further, one of the parent programs we’ll hold this Fall will feature a bank official who will help parents begin planning and saving for their child’s post-secondary education. Stay turned for more details on these and other exciting programs.
We strongly encourage West families to reinforce with your student that their tomorrow begins today. We want all of West’s children to be engrained with the idea that high school will not be the end of their education. As the principal, I want every West student to walk through the halls of this school embracing the idea that “I am going to go to college, trade school, etc…”
I ask all West’s families to partner with us on this important mindset.
- Drop-Off and Pick-Up Procedures: As in previous years, students may be dropped off at West’s front entrance no earlier than 7:30 a.m. Students can be picked up after school by following the traffic flow in front of the building. For the safety of students, visitors, and staff, we ask that you remain in your vehicle and let one of our staff members escort your child to the vehicle.
- Student Breakfast and Lunch: The cost of a student breakfast is $1.25, while lunch is $1.95. As in previous years, students may deposit money in their cafeteria account.
- While every school year is different from the one before it, you will notice a few new things here at West this year. By the first day of school, our playground will have a new blacktop and play areas for students. We also will continue to explore a partnership with the University of Southern Indiana to bring a foreign language program of some sort to West; a program which has been shown to dramatically raise student achievement in a variety of ways.
On behalf of our staff, I want to welcome you and your student to a new school year here at West. We once again look forward to partnering with you to help make your child’s tomorrow everything it can be.
West Elementary School